Energy storage in greenhouses on a commercial scale, prolong harvest periods with a sustainable solution?  

(@jakoblindqvist)

Energy storage in simple greenhouses to prolong the season for growing crops in the spring and fall? Although it could actually increase the period and prevent night frost, its volume and power might have to be to large to make an economical feasible solution for private greenhouses. Thing is, I think poorly insulated standard private greenhouses with one layer glass don't benefit much. 

On the large scale though, with better insulation  and a real economical case (small scale are rarely heated),  solar powered thermal energy storage could be quite beneficial since the temperature probably rise to substantial levels in the ceilings.

The motives on the market are already there since  a green populism been in the food market for quite some time now. I refer to locally produced, ecological foods etc. Greenhousing are often fueled with oil, but renewable resources must be more popular in Sweden, however there's a global market aswell. For those interested and proficient in Swedish: https://pub.epsilon.slu.se/12740/7/nilsson_u_etal_151102.pdf.

1. You can find out that most commonly, energy is carried around by water in pipings for these plants. This is great news because if water is the common energy carrier, a SaltX solution is more easily adopted.

2. There's often a water reservoir in these systems to store energy. Great news, there's already a market.

Edit: Jordbruksverket (agricultural agency) claims that 43 percent of Swedish greenhouses are powered by fossil fuels, (2011) although being seven years ago and already by then, down from 77 % in 2001.

There are also various investment subsidies being provided to the Swedish market to reduce and eventually eliminate the fossil fuels and to make agriculture more energy efficient: (page 18 in the pdf shows some statistics 2007-2013 in Swedish...) https://www2.jordbruksverket.se/download/18.1da5a32a14da915f9b8c5d78/1433244455897/ra15_10.pdf  

Lastly, I think the marketing value, SaltX being associated with growing, life and crops, to help provide emission free food, could be the greatest value of them all with this idea.

BR

Edited: 4 weeks  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2018 12:33 pm Jacob Göransson liked
(@liudasmikal)
Admin

Hi @jakoblindqvist! First of all, welcome to the SaltX Labs! What a great summary and ideas! Are you interested in Urban Farming? There is a lot of interest and demand for sustainable food that is locally grown all year round. You are absolutely right about the greenhouse heating - a lot of them are powered by fossil fuels and have antiquated heat capture systems.
Would you like to create a solution for commercial greenhouses using SaltX technology? Do you have friends interested in this idea?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2018 3:00 pm
(@liudasmikal)
Admin

@jakoblindqvist, did you see our new Case of the Week about energy efficient greenhouses? Perhaps it can be useful!
http://saltxlabs.com/community/case-of-the-week/case-of-the-week-week-21-all-year-round-greenhouse-with-no-heating-cost

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2018 12:09 pm
(@jakoblindqvist)

Hello again, I'm back!

It's great to see that you found it interesting! We are graduating in June and will be looking into this idea later this summer, to see if we can develop a feasible case and solution.

Can I ask if you got inspired by my post, for the case of the week :)? The ideas regarding suncool tech acting as heat pump solution is very interesting!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2018 3:32 pm
(@liudasmikal)
Admin

@jakoblindqvist, we definitely got inspired by your idea! We also have a large focus on sustainable food production and environmentally friendly buildings. Our founder is a huge advocate of sustainability and greater good for humanity.

Definitely keep working on this idea. Who else is in your team? Where are you studying? Would you like to apply for SSES Validator study? It could help you get a great first push towards building a product!

I am very interested in urban farming, especially aquaponics and vertical farming. I'd love to hear your solutions in more details!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2018 9:44 am
(@jakoblindqvist)
Posted by: liudas@saltxtechnology

@jakoblindqvist, we definitely got inspired by your idea! We also have a large focus on sustainable food production and environmentally friendly buildings. Our founder is a huge advocate of sustainability and greater good for humanity.

Definitely keep working on this idea. Who else is in your team? Where are you studying? Would you like to apply for SSES Validator study? It could help you get a great first push towards building a product!

I am very interested in urban farming, especially aquaponics and vertical farming. I'd love to hear your solutions in more details!

Yea low emission food production must be one of the most fundamental parts in growing a sustainable society.

My partner Niklas and I wrote our master thesis together at Linköping University and are graduating energy and environmental engineers.

We would gladly test our idea at SSES!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/06/2018 4:24 pm
(@liudasmikal)
Admin

Yes! Definitely check out the SSES Validator! Shoot me a message at liudas.mikal [at] saltxtechnology.com if you need a template for filling in the request.

What are your plans after graduation? Are you looking to start a business?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2018 2:35 pm

Working

Please Login or Register