Charging / discharging/ regulation  

Hello

I would like to lear more about charging and discharging for my system imagination:

Maximum charging temperature /  Minimum charging temperature

As I have learn from previous posts there are various kind of salt and liquids for system which have min/max temperature (delta T…) ranges for given application,

What happened if I continue charging when battery has full capacity ? Does some damage occur?

And what will happened if I try to charge with temperature over the temperature range of salt? If I have salt witch is for 70-90°C. And I will try to charge with for example 150°C? 

How quickly can be the battery charged? For example if I have 10kW heat stream, what system size will I need for proper charging?

Regulation

It it possible to regulate reaction or rather to say regulate output? I mean if it is possible to stop reaction?  Or somehow slow the reaction to change output? It is possible to start charging/dis from not empty battery? 

As I know the temperature on the colder side can be affected , depending how quick the reaction will perform. It this also true on hot side of system? By faster reaction can I get more output (temperature) on warm side?

Battery Capacity

It is possible to measure state of charge of thermal battery?

Hi @daniel! Great questions! Perhaps it would have been better to ask them as separate Q&A sections.
Min/Max charging temperatures:
The lowest temperature difference to charge our salts is 45C. Minimum delta T is the most important factor for charging. It means that the minimum difference between the two parts of the battery has to be at least 45 degrees. However, if it's greater - the reaction will happen faster, meaning that the battery will charge faster.

Charging time differs mostly on the charging system, heat exchanger your use. Normally it takes about an hour to a few hours for the reaction to occur (once again - you can optimize this to happen faster with different construction).

Once the salt is charged, you can continue heating it and nothing will happen. It will stop absorbing energy and that's it.

Discharging

You can get more temperature out of some salts than others, however all of them give out all the energy that you store in the salt. I.e. if you store 10kW at 45 degree salt - you will get 10kW of 45 degree heat, if you store 10kW in 350 degree salt you will get back 10kW of 350 degree heat. The temperature the salt can reach is called the maximum discharge delta T. It means how much can the two compartments differ in temperature at the maximum reaction speed.

You can also regulate how fast the salt discharges by using valves between the two compartments. You can start charging the battery at any point as well as you can discharge to a complete zero with no damage to the battery.

Charge level

There are ways to measure the charge level. It depends on the individual construction of the battery.

Hope this answers your questions and don't hesitate to create a forum post with the application you have in mind! Also, consider getting a premium membership which gives you a demo tube that you can use to further experiment with SaltX technology!

Hi

Yes I can post questions separately. I have copied them. So if you want delete this post... And I'll post again separately. 

No worries! We will not delete. But maybe post again as separate questions.

Share: