[Solved] Energy loss during charging and storing  

How much energy is lost when charging and storing energy in the salt?

When the energy is stored in the salt, no energy is lost. That means you can store energy for a very long time without loosing any energy. How much energy is lost during the charging process and discharging process depends on the systems around the salt, so it is hard to give a definitive answer for that part of the question.

Edited: 5 months  ago

Hello Eric

I would like to ask similar question.  So if I have close to perfect system( as for thermal exchange) and charging with electricity (some common heating elements) will the salt x system store approximately same amount of energy when compared to same system which will just provide direct heat?

Regards

Hi @Daniel! Thanks for the questions!

SaltX battery has the most advantages when releasing heat. As the reaction in the battery starts, it takes energy from the air (or surroundings) through the condenser side and can produce in heating up to 1.5 times the energy that you stored. In addition to that it provides cooling which can be used as well.

To answer about charging - if you have a nearly perfect system for charging, nearly all the heat will be stored. SaltX salts store 100% of the energy that actually gets to the salt. The better the charging system, the more efficient the charging will be. In perfect conditions where all heat is transferred to the salt, all of it would be stored. In real world however, some heat is always lost to the environment. Most usual ways are through the charger and battery point of contact, also through the condenser (blue side of the battery) which gets warm during charging.

Let us know if you have any follow up questions, Daniel!

Thank you for nice answer. 

I was a bit afraid that what will happen with warm heat energy on output as the system also produces cold. But now it is clearer a bit. It looks the reaction also suck up warm heat energy when there is cold produced . It has some logic of course..... 

Now I think it will be hard to understand thoroughly why I can get up to 1.5x more heat... I think more theoretical explanation and practical experience will be needed for me to understand it...

What affect this gain? You have mentioned surrounding temperature through the condenser .

So is this gain not affected by the temperature of charging ? 

If the system will be in room (produced cold will be released outside room) and charging salt with electricity will be there some gain (I mean the total heat gain in the room) ? 

What is the temperature output on cold side - blue side ?

Hi @Daniel! Once again - great questions! Let me give you a basic explanation how SaltX batteries work.

SaltX battery is basically two compartments with our patented nano-coated salts. At the discharged level the two compartments are exactly identical. When we apply heat to one compartment (Reactor) water vapor detaches from the salt and moves to another compartment. This is how the battery is charged. At full charge - all water vapor is transported away from Reactor to the Condenser (the other compartment). Water vapor condenses in that compartment hence the name condenser.
When the battery is activated or in other words - discharging - the water vapor travels back to Reactor and reacts with salt. This reaction produces heat. To escape the condenser side - water vapor absorbs the energy. That is why the Condenser side gets cold and reactor side gets hot.
Water evaporation in the Condenser side takes energy from the surrounding air - meaning that this energy was not put in when heating the Reactor compartment. So the SaltX battery not only releases the energy that was stored initially - it also absorbs the energy from the surrounding air thus improving the efficiency and making 1.5x more heat than stored.
This gain is not affected by the charging temperature. Rather is it affected by the temperature difference. There is a maximum temperature difference the battery can reach. The more energy you want to have released the more energy you will need to take from the air. That is why in some applications fans and radiators are used to make reaction very fast. As long as produced cool is effectively released outside the room the reaction will work fine. Another tip is that you can separate the two compartments and install reactor in the room and condenser just outside the wall (think about air conditioning units).
Lastly, temperature on the cold side depends on a lot of different factors. Temperature is a momentary value. Think about the SaltX battery in terms of it's full capacity. Let's say the battery has 10kW of power. If you release 10kW in one hour the Condenser side will be much colder than if you release 10kW in 10h. When energy release is slower, the condenser cools down more slowly and has time to absorb energy from the surrounding air.

Hope this answers your questions! Don't hesitate to ask further!

Hello

Many thanks for answer. 

Just want ask if it is possible to reach temperature on colder condenser side around 3°C? 

@Daniel you can reach 3°C and even below freezing temperatures on the condenser side when the battery is operating.

We have some idea about high demand product, but the temperature looks must be around -8° / -10°. Can you give me more information about conditions to reach this temperature with your system? It is difficult to obtain such temperature with your system?

Hi @daniel! It's not complicated to reach -8, -10 or lower. The tube is then filled with other gas than water and the reaction happens even better with no freezing. It depends however on the ambient temperature. SaltX heat storage is based on the temperature difference. What would be the temperature on the other end of the thermal battery? Why don't you create a new forum case about your application?

Hi, in this application the temperature on the warm side is not required. But in best case I would like to use the heat for recuperation - charging the second battery.  (if the temperature will be suitable for charging salt)... 

I'll open new forum about application ...

PS: Just want ask, when I compare systems which is able to deliver on condenser side for example -10°. And system which produce on condenser side +10°C.
Is there some difference on the output on reactor side? Or the system just deliver +10°C for longer time when comparing to first system (-10°C on condenser side)

Hi @daniel! Once again - great questions and looking forward to hear more about the application you're considering. If you want to go a step further and test out the SaltX Demo Tube - feel free to upgrade to Premium!

The difference between the two systems you describe is that the reactor side will be 20°C hotter for the system with +10°C on the condenser side compared to the system with -10°C on the condenser side. If the same salt is used in both processes, you basically shift the temperature output.

To explain in more detail - every salt that SaltX manufactures has a maximum temperature difference that it reaches when discharging. If one side of the tube is colder the temperature difference shifts to the colder side, if you increase the temperature on the condenser side - the reactor side temperature will increase as well.

Hope this answers your question! Don't hesitate to create a thread about your application and definitely consider getting the SaltX Demo Tube to test it out!

Working

Please Login or Register